STISD Parent News: June 2022
This e-newsletter features news and important updates for STISD Parents.
STISD to serve free meals for community during month of June
South Texas Independent School District (STISD) will serve free breakfast and lunch meals to children 18 years old and younger from our local communities and enrolled students up to 21 years old with disabilities throughout the month of June.
The meals will be served via dine-in only at the cafeterias of four different STISD campuses. Breakfast will be served from 8:00-9:00 a.m., and lunch will be served from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, June 6-30.
These meals will be provided at no cost to the family, and children do not have to be enrolled within STISD to receive meals.
Meal locations through June 30 include:
- Edinburg: South Texas ISD Preparatory Academy Cafeteria (724 S. Sugar Rd., Edinburg)
- Mercedes: South Texas ISD Science Academy Cafeteria (100 Med High Drive, Mercedes)
- Olmito: South Texas ISD Medical Professions Cafeteria (10650 N Expressway 77/83, Olmito)
- San Benito: South Texas ISD Rising Scholars Academy Cafeteria (151 S. Helen Moore Rd., San Benito)
For additional information, contact Oliver Galvan, Child Nutrition Director, at email@example.com or 956.514.4230.
Join us! 5th Annual Community Health Expo to be held on Saturday, June 11, at STISD Science Academy
The MENTORS Project (Model Education Networks to Optimize Rural Science), in collaboration with STISD Health Professions, STISD Science Academy, and Mercedes ISD, invite the community to attend the 5th Annual Community Health Expo, to be held on Saturday, June 11.
The Expo will be held at the Science Academy Gymnasium, located at 900 Med High Dr. in Mercedes (off of Mile 2 West Rd. and Expressway 83) from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
It will offer fun activities and educational booths, including Zumba classes, South Texas Food Bank, Kids Zone, and many more.
There will also be free screenings for asthma, body weight, blood pressure, and diabetes, as well as free vaccinations available, including those for COVID-19.
Attendees can also learn to prevent and manage obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and asthma.
Students from the three local high schools have trained to serve as Health Ambassadors in their communities, and will provide useful and reliable health information (se habla español).
The MENTORS Project is supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) grant from the National Institutes of Health. The program provides research internships for students and teachers, health ambassadorships for students, and an annual statewide professional development conference for K-12 educators (K-12 Summer Institute). Additional support for the project is provided by the Texas A&M Center for Environmental Health Research (NIEHS/NIH).
Texas General Land Office’s Homeowner Assistance and Reimbursement Programs (HARP) is seeking additional applications
The Texas General Land Office’s (GLO) Homeowner Assistance and Reimbursement Programs (HARP) is seeking additional applications in South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley for residents of Cameron, Hidalgo, and Willacy counties with home repairs or full reconstruction, as well as repayment of eligible out-of-pocket repair costs up to $50,000. The program opened a year ago and there is still funding available in these counties. Click here to learn more.
Parents, Guardians, Caretakers invited: Free Texas Autism Virtual Conference on June 25
Texas Autism Virtual Conference Family Day - June 25, 2002
The 30th annual Texas Virtual Autism Conference Family Day will be held June 25, 2022. Parents, guardians, and caretakers are invited to join on this date free of charge. There will be over 15 breakout sessions geared towards parenting and caretaker topics that improve the lives of our students and children with autism. Deadline to register is 5 p.m. on June 16, 2022. Click here to register.
Summer Hours for STISD District Offices + Campuses: May 30-July 29
Monday – Thursday
7:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon
12:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday – Closed
Tell your friends & family: STISD is hiring!
South Texas ISD is hiring! Learn more or apply at stisd.net/employment
Available positions include:
- Principal at Preparatory Academy (Edinburg)
- Assistant Principal at Preparatory Academy (Edinburg) + Rising Scholars Academy (San Benito) + Virtual Academy (based in Mercedes)
- Bookkeeper/Purchasing Clerk at Health Professions + Science Academy (Mercedes)
- Bus Drivers/Custodians
- Campus Secretary at Health Professions (Mercedes)
- ELA Coordinator
- Literacy Instructional Coach
- PEIMS Clerk/Attendance Clerk at Health Professions (Mercedes)
- Receptionist/Secretary to Assistant Principal at Science Academy (Mercedes)
- Special Education Secretary
- Teaching Positions:
- Health Science
- Social Studies
- Special Education
- Technology Applications
STISD is enrolling new students for 2022-2023
Tell your friends and family! STISD is enrolling for 2022-2023: www.stisd.net
- South Texas ISD Health Professions (Mercedes)
- South Texas ISD Medical Professions (Olmito)
- South Texas ISD Preparatory Academy (Edinburg)
- South Texas ISD Rising Scholars Academy (San Benito)
- South Texas ISD Science Academy (Mercedes)
- South Texas ISD World Scholars (Edinburg)
- South Texas ISD Virtual Academy (100% virtual instruction from home)
- - -
Please note: some schools are currently wait listed and may not be able to make additional seat offers for 2022-2023. These schools include Medical Professions (Olmito), Preparatory Academy (Edinburg), Rising Scholars Academy (San Benito), and Science Academy (Mercedes).
South Texas ISD YouTube Feature: Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony Recordings
Health Professions Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony
Medical Professions Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony
Science Academy Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony
World Scholars Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony