October 2022- BoardBits
This e-newsletter highlights important news from the October 25 meeting of the STISD Board of Directors, as well as other recent and upcoming district and campus happenings.
Story from the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB)
(Austin) - Sylvia Sánchez Garza of South Texas ISD has been reelected to a three-year term on the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Board of Directors, representing TASB Region 1, Position B. The election was held during the Association’s 2022 Delegate Assembly on Sept. 24 in San Antonio.
Click here to read the full story
The STISD Board of Directors recognized the campus and district communities for their collaborative work to earn STISD and the campuses spots among the best in the state and nation in the 2023 Niche Best Schools K-12 School & District Rankings.
With an A+ overall grade, STISD ranked 2nd in Texas (out of 1,018 school districts ranked) and 38th in the nation (out of 10,751 districts ranked) in the Best School Districts rankings.
For the second year in a row, the district also earned the top spots in the state in the Best Places to Teach and the Districts with the Best Teachers in Texas. STISD also ranked 6th out of 11,687 districts ranked in the Districts with the Best Teachers in America.
Dr. Brenda De La Garza, STISD Special Programs Director, walked the board through the proposed 2022-2023 Gifted and Talented Manual during the Oct. 25 board meeting. All school districts are required to develop a comprehensive manual or program guide describing all gifted/talented programs, services, assessments, and communication, which is accessible to parents, community and students and includes district G/T program contact information (Fidelity of Services 1.10). With the Board's approval of the guide, it has now been posted within the Gifted and Talented page on the district website.
The STISD Board of Directors approved the proposed course offerings for the 2023-2024 School Year for STISD Health Professions, STISD Medical Professions, STISD Science Academy, STISD Preparatory Academy, and STISD Rising Scholars Academy during the Oct. 25 board meeting.
Prior to the board meeting, the course offerings were reviewed and recommended by both the campus and district site-based councils. The course offerings, which make up the backbone of STISD curricular offerings, provide the student, parent, teachers, and administrators with clear curriculum expectations that are specific for each campus theme.
Considering many students are advancing in their high school coursework beginning in middle school, STISD removed the grade levels on the high school course sequences a couple of years ago.
The campus course sequences for 2023-2024 will be posted on the district website.
- The Buildings & Grounds Board Committee reported on related items and the committee's activity since being established.
- Frank Trevino shared with the board the most recent progress and next steps on each of the projects.
- Representatives from The Warren Group, the architect for the New Health Professions Gymnasium, were present to present to the Board the design development documents for review and approval. They showed renditions and samples of recommended building materials, and the Board members asked questions. The Board approved the design documents.
- The Board approved the proposed admission qualifications for students and campus target populations for the 2023-2024 school year.
- The Board passed a Resolution to convene the District’s School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) to recommend curriculum materials for human sexuality instruction and prevention of child abuse, family violence, dating violence, and sex trafficking. The committee is to hold at least two public meetings to allow it to make a recommendation to the Board at a public meeting by March 2023.
- The Board approved changes to district policy BDB(LOCAL) Board Internal Organization: Internal Committees to add a Buildings and Grounds Committee to the other Standing Committees, which include Finance and Operations; Policy, Planning, Projects, and Partnerships; Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment; Community and Governmental Relations; and Executive.
- In accordance with the STISD District of Innovation Plan, the District notified the Board of Directors of local teaching certificates for the remainder of the 2022-2023 school year granted within career and technology fields.
- Doug Buchanan, Board president, shared with the Board and attendees the South Texas ISD Board Member Training Continuing Education Report, which details whether each board member has met their training requirements as set forth by the State Board of Education. This is required to be done by the STISD Board President at the last regular meeting before an election of trustees.
- Dr. Brenda De La Garza, STISD Special Programs Director, walked the STISD Board of Directors through the STISD Bilingual ESL Program Evaluation for 2021-2022. The data collected for the 2021-2022 school year shows the effectiveness of the program in preparing students for educational success.