May 2022- BoardBits
This e-newsletter highlights important news from the May 24 meeting of the STISD Board of Directors, as well as other recent and upcoming district and campus happenings.
Board approves STISD Compensation Plan + Benefits for 2022-2023
During the May 24 board meeting, the STISD Board of Directors approved the STISD Compensation Plan and benefits for the 2022-2023 school year.
With the board’s approval, all eligible STISD employees will receive a 4 percent pay increase from the midpoint of the employee’s pay scale for the upcoming year. The board also approved adjusting the starting salary for teachers to $56,000. The pay increases will take effect in the Sept. 2022 pay period.
The board also approved a $2,000 COVID stipend, half of which will be disbursed in December 2022 and the other half in May 2023.
To assist employees with rising costs of health insurance, the board also approved an increase of $89.64 to the health insurance allotment, bringing the total paid by the district per each employee to $614.64/employee/month. Further, the board approved a $3.76 increase in the dental insurance allotment, bringing the total up to $20.76/employee/month. All other benefits and travel reimbursement rates will remain the same.
Board recognizes all four high schools for ranking in U.S. News & World Report 2022 Best U.S. High Schools
During the May 24 board meeting, the STISD board of directors and administration recognized all four high schools for ranking among the best in the state and nation in the U.S. News & World Report 2022 Best U.S. High Schools.
In the state rankings, Science Academy in Mercedes ranked 37th, Health Professions in Mercedes ranked 70th, Medical Professions in Olmito ranked 75th, and World Scholars in Edinburg ranked 91st. Out of nearly 18,000 public high schools ranked across the nation, Science Academy ranked 222nd, Health Professions ranked 433rd, Medical Professions ranked 466th, and World Scholars ranked 635th.
- New Rising Scholars Academy Campus: The architect continues to work on the construction documents, with current completion around 50 percent.
New Health Professions Gymnasium: This project is currently in the design phase, and the architect is still getting information from the district as to the needs for the facility.
New Central Administration & Professional Development Building Renovation Project: Construction continues on the interior and exterior of the building. See photos below.
Photos: Construction Progress of New Central Administration + Professional Development Building
Other Board Actions
- The Board received a report on the 2022-2023 District and Campus Improvement Plans (First Reading). Nereyda Treviño, STISD Chief Academic Officer, presented on the seven goals included within the District Plan. The Campus Improvement Plans are aligned with the district goals.
- The Board approved the following course additions for Medical Professions: Practicum in Entrepreneurship; Practicum in Health Science II; Practicum in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics; Art Appreciation Dual; Spanish for Native/Heritage Speakers Dual; Principles of Microeconomics Dual; and Public Speaking Dual. These additions address the need for more practicum courses to align with campus growth and to provide the courses to be offered through a new partnership with Texas Southmost College (TSC), which will provide students the opportunity to earn an associates degree.
- The Board approved the 2022-2023 Stipends proposed, with the exception of the District Athletic Director to be reviewed at a later date.
- The Board began discussion regarding the development of a framework for an STISD Employee Longevity Incentive.
- The Board voted to nominate Dr. Sylvia Sánchez Garza to the Region I, Position B seat on the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Board.
South Texas ISD Graduation Highlight: Class of 2022
Photo Galleries: Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremonies
Class of 2022 Graduation Highlight
STISD Valedictorians + Salutatorians
Video Highlights: Inside STISD
2022 Science Academy Engineering Design & Development (EDD) Presents Conference
Meet Health Professions Student Danielle Ebaseh-Onofa
May Student in Frame: Rising Scholars Academy's Felicity Fok
Tell your friends & family: We'll be at Thursday's Region One ESC Job Fair!
Know friends and family who are looking to work in education? Tell them to visit us at our South Texas ISD booths at the Region One Job Fair, Thursday, June 2 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
✔️View available positions: https://www.stisd.net/employment
✔️Fill out job applications on-site
✔️Meet with STISD personnel
✔️Opportunities for interviews also available
We can't wait to meet you.
- - -
📍: Region One Education Service Center | 1900 W. Schunior, Edinburg
Positions available for:
- Administrators - Principal + Assistant Principals
- Teachers: Computer Science, English/ESL, Health Science, Math, Science, Special Education, Technology Applications
- ELA Coordinator
- Licensed Specialist in School Psychology
- Literacy Instructional Coach
- PEIMS Clerk/Attendance Clerk
- Special Education Secretary
- Bus Drivers
- and more!
Mental Health Matters: May is Mental Health Month
May 2022 is Mental Health Month.
Click here to access information from Mental Health America on living a mentally healthier life
STISD is staffed to provide STISD students needed mental health supports, through School Counselors, Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs), and Licensed Specialists in School Psychology (LSSPs). To request support, please reach out to the counselors at your child's campus. Contact information is available through the district Counseling page here.
Alumni Spotlight: Kristian Moore, Medical Professions Class of 2018
Kristian Moore graduated from South Texas ISD Medical Professions in 2018 and worked as a Certified Medical Assistant at Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen before accepting an offer from Frontier Direct Care in Brownsville.
Follow Us: STISD Social Media Feeds
There are no events to display