February 2022- BoardBits
This e-newsletter highlights important news from the Feb. 22 meeting of the STISD Board of Directors, as well as other recent and upcoming district and campus happenings.
STISD Reports: 2021 Federal Report Card + Staff Ethnicity, Gender and Degree Status
Public Hearing: 2020-2021 District & Campus Texas Academic Performance Report
STISD held a public hearing at the beginning of the meeting to report on the 2020-2021 District & Campus Texas Academic Performance Reports (TAPR), which are posted within the Accountability & Needs Assessment section on the district website. Nereyda Treviño, STISD Chief Academic Officer, shared that the TAPR reports on a wide range of performance indicators of students at each school in Texas each year. She walked through some of the basic indicators included on page 5 of the district report, including the following:
View the 2020-2021 District & Campus Texas Academic Performance Report
Included in the District & Campus Performance Reports section
Board approves Efrain Garza as new Deputy Superintendent
The STISD Board of Directors approved the hiring of Efrain Garza as the new STISD Deputy Superintendent during the Feb. 22 board meeting.
Garza has served as the STISD Executive Director for Student Support since July 2020, though he has been with the district since 2001. He began his career as a science teacher at the Teacher Academy of South Texas in Edinburg in 2001. He later served as a counselor at the South Texas Preparatory Academy campus, an assistant principal at Rising Scholars Academy of South Texas and then South Texas Business, Education & Technology Academy. Before transitioning to his role within the Central Administration, he served as principal of BETA, where he oversaw the growth and development of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme, and led the campus through its program change and transition from BETA to World Scholars.
Ninety-five students qualify for Business Professionals of America State Competition to be held next week
Story by Science Academy juniors Mikayla Kester and Hannah Jin:
A total of 95 students from South Texas Independent School District (STISD) high schools qualified for this year’s Texas Business Professionals of America (BPA) State Leadership Conference, to be held in Fort Worth, Texas, March 2-5. The qualifiers are preparing for the rigorous competition after having made it through the regional conference that took place on January 7-12.
Five teams and seven individual competitors will come from South Texas ISD Health Professions in Mercedes, totaling 34 representatives.
Eight teams and 11 individual competitors will come from South Texas ISD Science Academy in Mercedes, totaling 41 representatives.
Three teams and 11 individual competitors will come from South Texas ISD World Scholars in Edinburg, totaling 20 representatives.
Although the regional conference in January occurred virtually through recordings, the State Leadership Conference will take place in front of live judges and through pre-submissions.
Click here to read full story.
Watch the video below to hear from some of the state qualifiers.
Board approves Data Analytics Director position and announcement of vacancy
The STISD board approved the creation of a new Data Analytics Director position for the district.
The Data Analytics Director’s primary responsibility is to ensure accurate preparation, analysis, and reporting of district data to appropriate administrative offices, departments, and campuses, including state and national educational organizations. This role requires oversight of the Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) reporting requirements, as well as other reporting needs using the school’s Student Information Systems (SIS). In addition, the Director will review, analyze, trend and report all data obtained from District data management systems, including academic and financial information.
News Related to COVID-19
Board approves additional paid leave for employees for COVID-19 isolation and/or quarantine
As an additional support measure for district employees as COVID continues throughout the region, state, nation and world, the STISD Board of Directors approved an allotment of 5 days of paid leave due to a COVID infection with no use of the employee’s sick leave. The leave is retroactive to Jan. 27, 2022, and use must be in compliance with the board-approved resolution, which includes the following conditions:
- All full-time employees who were employed by South Texas ISD on or after January 27, 2022, will be eligible for up to five (5) days of additional paid COVID-19 leave, if they meet all of the following conditions:
- The employee receives an initial positive test for COVID-19 from a physician’s office or an approved testing site on or after January 27, 2022.
- The employee has been fully vaccinated (two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) before the date of the positive COVID-19 test.
- The employee has, in addition to the vaccination set forth above, received an additional booster vaccination of the Pfizer, Moderna vaccine, or Johnson and Johnson vaccine) before the date of the positive COVID-19 test.
- Employees seeking to be awarded paid leave, will be required to submit positive COVID-19 test results and a valid vaccination card meeting all of the date requirements to the District Human Resources Department.
- Leave awarded may be used for self-quarantining and/or self-isolation for COVID-19 purposes only.
- Leave awarded must be used prior to June 30, 2022. COVID-19 leave balances left unused on or after June 30, 2022, will expire.
To request use of the leave retroactive to Jan. 27 or until June 30, 2022, employees will need to complete the form through the district website. It will be available with all other DocuSign forms within the DocuSign Form Links by Department + Campus in the Employee Resources and Logins section by early the week of Feb. 28, or you can contact the Human Resources Department at 956.514.4224.
STISD Project Safe Return plan updated
The STISD Project Safe Return plan has been updated. Visit the COVID-19 page on the district website for the most up-to-date document.
New STISD Construction Manager Frank Treviño reported on the following construction projects:
- New Rising Scholars Academy project: The project remains in the design phase, with the district continuing dialogue with the architect to ensure all of the needs are being met. Discussion continues regarding the placement of the campus and layout of the school.
- New Central Administration & Professional Development Building Renovation Project: Construction continues on the interior and exterior of the building. See photos below for some of the progress.
Photos: New Central Administration & Professional Development Building in progress
Other Board Actions
- The board voted to extend RFP 20-001 Benefit Brokerage Services with First Financial Group for an additional year.
- The board voted to award RFP 22-001 Property, Liability, and Auto Insurance to Shepard Walton King.
- The board voted to reject the submissions for RFP 22-002 Landscaping Maintenance.
- The board approved a resolution by the Board of Directors of the South Texas Independent School District authorizing district staff, Bond Counsel and Financial Advisor to proceed with the issuance of lease purchase obligations to finance the construction and equipment of school buildings and approval of other matters related thereto. This will be used for the new Rising Scholars Academy campus.
Photo Galleries: Superintendent's Cup Events
STISD Gives Back: Students proudly volunteer and donate at Science Academy Blood Drive
Video Highlights: Inside STISD
STISD Virtual Academy Students Play Sports District wide
VA's Denise Ochoa's Impact on Health Professions Athletics
STISD Superintendent's Cup Chess Tournament
Tell your friends & family: Tour STISD Campus Showcases on March 5
Only one STISD - Experience it!
See what’s inside STISD! Join us for campus showcase events at our middle schools and high schools throughout the RGV, and learn about opportunities for college and career preparation for all students, as well as our competitive academics and sports, and support community of world-class administrators, faculty and staff. Enjoy tours, family-friendly activities and more, while you learn what sets our top-ranked schools apart.
Follow Us: STISD Social Media Feeds
There are no events to display