Aug. 22, 2023 BoardBits
This e-newsletter highlights important news from the Aug. 22 regular meeting of the STISD Board of Directors, as well as other recent and upcoming district and campus happenings.
STISD is now using a new student information system called Skyward. All parents/guardians should have received an email from Skyward Qmlativ earlier this school year sharing their Family Access Account user name and the link to log in.
Didn't receive it? Follow up with your child's campus to have it re-sent.
Received it but have not yet logged on? To log in for the first time, the parent/guardian will need to enter his/her username as included in the e-mail and follow the prompts to reset his/her password.
Skyward also has a mobile app! Download it for easy on-the-go access to your account. Just search for "Skyward" in the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
This week U.S. News & World Report published its 2023-2024 Best High Schools Rankings, which included all four STISD high schools among the top-ranked schools in the state and nation.
In the state rankings, Science Academy in Mercedes ranked 31st, Health Professions in Mercedes ranked 70th, Medical Professions in Olmito ranked 90th, and World Scholars in Edinburg ranked 140th. Out of nearly 18,000 public high schools ranked across the nation, Science Academy ranked 228th, Health Professions ranked 510th, Medical Professions ranked 676th, and World Scholars ranked 1,209th.
During the Aug. 22 board meeting, Dr. Nereyda Trevino, STISD Chief Academic Officer, provided the board with a report on the 2023 STAAR 6-8 Scores.
Similar to the results shared in June for EOC testing, the reports from the STAAR 6-8 testing provided a comparison between STISD, the state and Region One. STISD outperformed both the state and region in the majority of all areas.
Overall, in the Approaches level, STISD outperformed the other groups by close to 15 percent. In Meets and Masters, STISD outperformed the others by about 20 percent.
The goal for the next school year is to continue supporting our students and grow the percentage of students performing at the Masters level.
- The STISD Board of Directors voted to adopt the General Fund, Child Nutrition, and Debt Service Budgets for the 2023-2024 school year.
- The Board voted to hire Gomez, Mendez, Saenz, Inc. for architectural services for the 2023-2024 school year projects.
- The Board voted to adopt the tax rate for the 2023-2024 fiscal year. Administration is proposing to keep the tax rate at $.0492 per $100 valuation.
- As required by state statute, the Board made the motion and passed the resolution containing specific words to imply we are increasing our tax rate; however there is actually no increase in the tax rate. The resolution reads, "... the property tax rate be increased by the adoption of a tax rate of .0492, which is effectively a 2.46 percent increase in the tax rate."
- The STISD Board of Directors voted to designate the district's 10 nonbusiness days for the purposes of Public Information Act Request responses for 2023 and two out of the 10 days for 2024. The board will vote on the remaining nonbusiness days for 2024 once the 2024-2025 Academic Calendar is approved.
- The Board voted to approve the following capital improvement projects for the 2023-2024 school year: Roofing project at World Scholars, Preparatory Academy, Medical Professions, and the Science Academy.
- The Board voted to appoint the following two members to represent the district school board in the Delegate Assembly at this year's TASA/TASB Convention to be held Sept. 29- Oct. 1, 2023: Natividad Sosa - Delegate and Israel Quintanilla - Alternate.
STISD is hiring for various positions and at various locations across the district, including:
- Assistant Principal (Health Professions in Mercedes)
- Science Coordinator
- Teaching Positions:
- Science Composite Teacher (Preparatory Academy in Edinburg)
- Mathematics Teacher (Preparatory Academy in Edinburg)
- Physical Education Teacher (Rising Scholars Academy in San Benito)
- Bus Drivers/Custodians
- Special Education Classroom Aides
- Child Nutrition Worker
- Library Aide
- Licensed Specialist in School Psychology
- Literacy Instructional Coach (ESL) - grant-funded
- Shipping & Receiving Clerk
- Special Programs Secretary
- Technology Support Specialist
- and more