The STISD Board of Directors is comprised of 24 members from Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy Counties, making it the largest school board in the nation.
Each county has four elected positions representing each County Commissioner’s Precinct. In addition, each county judge appoints an individual for an at-large position for every 100,000 people. Elections for the board are held the first Tuesday in November on a biennial basis.
If you have any trouble accessing the information on this webpage or have any questions, please contact us via phone at 956.565.2454, via e-mail at email@example.com, or via mail at 100 Med High Drive, Mercedes, TX 78570.
2022 Election Information
South Texas Independent School District will conduct school board member elections on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022.
Seats up for election (by County and County Commissioner's Precinct):
- Cameron County: County Commissioner Precincts 1 & 3; Special Election for Precinct 2 - through the remainder of unexpired term
- Hidalgo County: County Commissioner Precincts 2 & 4
- Willacy County: County Commissioner Precincts 1 & 4
Key dates in election cycle:
- First day to file for a place on the ballot: Saturday, July 23, 2022
- Last day to file for a place on the ballot: Monday, Aug. 22, 2022, at 5:00 p.m.
- Deadline for declaration of write-in candidacy: Friday, Aug. 26, 2022
- Early voting by personal appearance: Oct. 24-Nov. 4, 2022
- General elections for school board members: Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022
Polling places and hours to be available at a later date.
Eligibility, requirements and process for filing for candidacy for school board trustee
- Election forms are available for download below and can also be accessed at: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/index.shtml
Application for a Place on the Ballot
To file for a place on the ballot:
- The application for a place on the ballot is available at the South Texas Independent School District Central Office, located at 100 Med High Drive in Mercedes, Texas. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Fridays. Open from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. by appointment only.
- Forms must be completed and turned into the Secretary of the Board in-person, by mail, or via email. Please contact Carmen Noriega via phone at (956) 514-4216, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person at the STISD Central Office, located at 100 Med High Dr. in Mercedes (Mile 2 West and Expwy. 83), if you have any questions.
Additional Elections Resources:
- Cameron County
- Hidalgo County
- Willacy County
Notice of Deadline to File Application for Place on the Ballot
Notice of Election (to be posted by Oct. 18)
Resolution Calling for Elections
Order of Regular Election for South Texas ISD (to include early voting polling places, dates and times; document to be posted by Aug. 22)
Order of Special Election for South Texas ISD
Notice of Drawing for a Place on the Ballot
Certification of Drawing for a Place on the Ballot
Certification of Unopposed Candidates