The STISD Board of Directors is comprised of 24 members from Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy Counties, making it the largest school board in the nation.
Each county has four elected positions representing each County Commissioner’s Precinct. In addition, each county judge appoints an individual for an at-large position for every 100,000 people. Elections for the board are held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November on a biennial basis.
If you have any trouble accessing the information on this webpage or have any questions, please contact us via phone at 956.565.2454, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via mail at 100 Med High Drive, Mercedes, TX 78570.
2020 Election Information
South Texas Independent School District will conduct school board member elections on Nov. 3, 2020.
Seats up for election (by County and County Commissioner's Precinct):
- Cameron County: County Commissioner Precincts 2 & 4
- Hidalgo County: County Commissioner Precincts 1 & 3
- Willacy County: County Commissioner Precincts 2 & 3
Key dates in election cycle:
- First day to file for a place on the ballot: Saturday, July 18, 2020
- Last day to file for a place on the ballot: Monday, Aug. 17, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
- Deadline for declaration of write-in candidacy: Friday, Aug. 21, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. (call Sonia Rodriguez at 956.514.4216 for additional information on this process)
- Early voting by personal appearance: Oct. 19-Oct. 30, 2020
- General elections for school board members: Nov. 3, 2020
Polling places and hours to be available at a later date.
Eligibility, requirements and process for filing for candidacy for school board trustee
- Election forms are available for download below and can also be accessed at: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/index.shtml
Application for a Place on the Ballot
Forms must be completed and turned into the Secretary of the Board. The STISD Central Office is currently not accepting visitors due to the coronavirus pandemic, so applications cannot be turned in in-person; however, they may be e-mailed to Sonia Rodriguez at email@example.com or sent by mail to: School Board Secretary, South Texas Independent School District, 100 Med High Drive, Mercedes, TX 78570.
Additional Elections Resources:
- Cameron County
- Hidalgo County
- Willacy County
Notice of Deadline to File Application for Place on the Ballot
Resolution for Unopposed Candidates
Resolution for Unopposed Candidates (in Spanish)
Notice of Election
Notice of Drawing for a Place on the Ballot
Resolution Calling for Elections
Order of Regular Election for South Texas ISD