South Texas Independent School District (STISD) serves middle school and high school students who live along the southernmost tip of Texas, the region known as the Rio Grande Valley. The district stretches over three counties, Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy, and overlaps 28 other school districts, an area of 3,643 miles.
STISD is comprised of six magnet schools throughout the Rio Grande Valley.
Middle Schools (Grades 7 and 8):
- South Texas ISD Preparatory Academy (Preparatory Academy) in Edinburg
- South Texas ISD Rising Scholars Academy (Rising Scholars Academy) in San Benito
High Schools (Grades 9-12):
- South Texas ISD Health Professions (Health Professions) in Mercedes
- South Texas ISD Medical Professions (Medical Professions) in Olmito
- South Texas ISD Science Academy (Science Academy) in Mercedes
- South Texas ISD World Scholars (World Scholars) in Edinburg - previously South Texas Business, Education & Technology Academy (BETA)
The only all-magnet school district in the state, STISD offers Valley students with an educational alternative. STISD schools provide a personal environment, a strong scholastic program and hands-on training in various professional career fields.
Because it is a public school district, there is no cost for students to attend, and bus transportation is also free of charge. Best of all, STISD schools maintain an open enrollment policy, meaning any student with the desire to learn and work hard can attend so long as he or she resides within the tri-county area.
All schools are accredited by the Texas Education Agency and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Over 95 percent of STISD graduates continue their education at major universities or technical colleges.
Opportunities for Hands-On Learning Inside and Outside of the Classroom
World-Class Faculty with Expertise in Their Field
Partnerships with institutions of higher learning and local businesses
Opportunities to earn college credits through Dual Enrollment, Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Programs
Certifications available to offer students a head start in their future career of choice